Iterate and Re-Iterate
Merriam-Webster the words Iterate and Re-Iterate can be used synonymously. However, the typical usage for re-iterate means doing something again and iterate means a version of something. Well, Electoral Barrage is stuck squarely in the re-iterative play-test phase. This is a critical and necessary phase in the life-cycle of the design process, but this is also incredibly taxing as well.
The process goes something like this:
- A play-test of the game is conducted
- Lots of feedback is received from the players
- The feedback and ideas are distilled into design goals or player feelings. Some feedback can be taken verbatim and some can only be used as a general feeling.
- New changes are made to the graphics, rules, etc.
- These new changes are uploaded to virtual spaces or physically printed
Rinse & Repeat!
Here is a quick summary and distillation of some of the feedback received:
- The beginning is too slow. Try to jump start into the action.
- Too many rounds for higher player counts.
- Too much randomness. Try to mitigate more.
- More cards! More cards!
- If you play a worker you should get something for it at a minimum.
- Make the cards more fun.
Here are some of the changes that have already been implemented:
- Absentee Ballots are back to being redeemable instead of one pulled randomly. This eliminates one source of randomness.
- Way more cards have been issues along with ways to directly earn them now. In past iterations there were no cards. When cards were first introduced they were scares. Now it is unheard of to have 3-4 in your hand throughout the game.
- "Fly-Over States" have a 5+ Re-Roll bonus now instead of just needing a 6.
- Superdelegates are now earn-able by Staffers instead of just cards.
The board has been going through a lot of changes as well. Here are some past versions:
Post a Comment